The history of the depot
In the national register of cultural monuments Aegviidu depot building has been described as a historic building with prominent architecture that was erected in 1870 due to the creation of St. Petersburg-Tallinn railway.
The most important building of Aegviidu railway building complex was the wooden station building with separate waiting halls and buffet. In addition to the station building, the complex included a stone water tower and engine depot, two buildings for employees, baggage building and ice cellar.
The historic engine depot located at Aegviidu railway station was built approximately 150 years ago as a small single depot building and it has been registered in the national register of cultural monuments as the immovable monument of Aegviidu station depot. The special features of the building are large arched windows, buttresses in the corners, boards and areas under the eaves designed with decorative cornices.
At first there was one room in the depot where a channel had been made in the floor for the repairs of railway rolling stock and according to the project there was also a firebox with metal chimney in the room. The historic building was composed of one large room with brick walls that was well lit with the large arched windows.
In the 1920s the need for Aegviidu station depot building decreased as the nearby Tapa station became the central station of the region where there was a depot and a repair workshop. It did not make sense to keep a separate small depot running next to Tapa station and thus Aegviidu depot became a workshop. During the years the depot has been re-built many times and the façade of the building has also been changed.